Do you agree that athletes are best suited for the Front Squat?
Have you heard this common way of thinking by some good coaches who believe the front squat is best because it keeps your back straight as you hold good upright posture.
Whether this way of thinking resonates with you or not; when you perform a proper Front Squat, your performance in lifting and in sports, will improve.
And here’s why:
1) The Front Squat requires great flexibility in many joints. And my favourites for this lift are the ankle and the knee, but there are others as well.
2) It has a strong and safe back position (when the front squat is done correctly)
The Front Squat provides more than just the two bullets above, but those are the ones I am going to focus on today.
How To Do A Proper Front Squat
When I asked one of my coaches why some people do the Front Squat, or any lift for that matter, even if form is poor, he replied “Everybody wants to lift”.
And that resonated with me. It’s true, we all want to lift and get a stronger and better body build while building explosive strength and power!
And you have two ways of doing that.
1) Grab a bar and go!
In this case your body will move how it can even if form is not good.
2) Practice and cultivate perfect form and continually progress in weight and distance as flexibility improves.
At the higher levels of lifting, #2 is the approach taken.
So that’s the approach I’d like to show you to make you into the best possible lifter you can be, without ruining your joints and minimizing the risk of injury.
When doing a proper Front Squat I’d like you to focus on these 3 things first:
1) Keep the barbell traveling in a straight line
2) Keep your back upright and with its natural curve (#1 can’t be accomplished if you cannot do #2)
3) Keep your knees in line with your ankles
I made you this video to show you an amazing drill to improve strength, flexibility and to master perfect form on the front squat.
Watch the video, grab the tips and then hit the gym!
Also, there is a really popular stretch in the world right now, and it’s very important that you to stop doing it; and I’ll tell you why in this video